How To Come Up With Interesting Expository Essay Topics In No Time
An expository essay is any sort of essay where you create an argument based on critical thinking or research, or a combination of the two. You’ll need to start with an idea, investigate that idea, and make a statement based on that idea that can be supported by evidence and reasoning. In an expository essay, you can write about almost any topic that tickles your fancy: but how can you be sure that the topic you choose is a good one? Here are some general tips for finding and choosing a stellar topic for your expository essay.
- 1. Think about your audience.
- 2. Think about what interests you.
- 3. Think about what’s current.
- 4. Here are some great sample topics to help you figure out what sorts of subjects make for a great expository essay:
Are you writing this for a sociology class? Or maybe for your history teacher? Tailor your topic to fit the class and the audience.
Pick something you can have fun writing; it’ll make writing the paper easier, and chances are if the topic interests you it’ll be interesting to others, as well.
Read through the day’s news and see what hot-button issues are being talked about. Writing about a modern topic makes your paper relevant and interesting.
- Gangs: why do people join gangs, and what the effects are on the community and individual?
- Alcohol: why do people drink, what are the consequences, and what sorts of alternatives exist?
- Gay marriage: why is it a highly debated subject, and what are the effects of allowing gay marriage?
- Outsourcing jobs: how has job outsourcing increased, and what are the consequences?
- Crowdfunding: how did crowdfunding become popular, and is it effective?
- Net neutrality: what is net neutrality, why is it important, and is it in danger?
- Homework: does homework have benefits, and how much homework is appropriate?
- Smoking: what are the health risks of smoking, and should smoking be banned?
- ADD/ADHD: how did ADD and ADHD become diagnosable conditions, and are prescription medications the only solution?
- Adultery: what causes people to cheat on their significant others, and how can it be prevented?
- Female genital mutilation: why does female genital mutilation occur in some cultures, and should we try to stop it?
- Texting while driving: what are the effects of texting while driving, and should it be illegal?
- Government corruption: what kinds of corruption occurs in politics, and how can it be stopped?